THE ANCESTRAL HISTORY OF THE ALBRITTON FAMILY
The following history has been assembled from facts gathered from Bobby G. Albritton of
Marietta, GA, R. W. Hemingway of Salt Lake City, and the Genealogical Library in Bartow, Florida.
The name of ALBRITTON has been spelled may different ways, but the spelling most often
used is "Albritton". The records show that prior to the year 1667, the name was spelled Albrighton,
Albridghton, or Alberton. Since that time, other variations have appeared such as Albriton, Albritten,
Albritain, and Albrittain. The line of Albrittons in this report spell their name either Albritton or
The first known reference to an ALBRITTON is discovered in Strafforshire County, England,
where the name appears in the registry of Haughton Parrish in 1570 as "Albrighton".
According to Dr. E. C. Albritton of Washington, D.C., the first Albritton to migrate to the new
world was one ROBERT ALBERTON, a perfumer (or pharmacist), who arrived at the Jamestown
Colony in the year 1608 on the secod supply ship sent over from England. The ship ws commanded by
a Capt. Newport and carried a supply of settlers, and among them were two females with no
Even then, the Albrittons were having trouble with people misspelling their name. "Alberton"
was entered in the ship's log by a ship's clerk, but the earliest spelling was "Albrighton".
If Bob had missed the boat, we'd still be in Albridgton County, England.
Francis was apparently the son of Robert Albritton. He married an Irish girl, who bore him
seven children, migrated to America with his family about 1650.
In early Virginia records, Francis Albritton (spelled "Albrighton") purchased land in York
County on April 9, 1667, naming seven children. Their names were RICHARD, FRANCIS,
ELIZABETH, GEORGE, JOHN, AMOS, and MARGARET. Each of their names was spelled
ALBRIGHTON, but he signed his name FRANCIS ALBRITTON. His sons Richard, John and George
signed their wills "Albritton". After Richard's will, the name Albrighton was not found in any family
Francis died in York County around 1667. The line decends through George.
JOHN ALBRITTON was the son of JAMES and ELIZABETH. He was born in Pill County,
North Carolina in 1750. He grew up in North Carolina and married there in 1774 to Averilla (Abby)
In 1776, John and brothers George and Richard, together with their families, left Pitt County
and traveled west to Rockingham, North Carolina. Later, they moved south to South Carolina. They
spent a number of years in South Carolina, but eventually moved on south to Georgia.
It appears that Richard, James, and families settled on French, British, and Spanish land in west
Florida --east of the Mississippi River and west of the Pearl River. Between 1810 and 1817, they
purchased or settled land in the St. Helena Parrish and Feliciana Parrish area.
John's earliest recorded residence in Georgia was in Effingham County, where he had 126
acres surveyed on September 6.1784. He lived in that portion of Effingham County that later was made
into Screven County. John was granted 200 acres of land in Effingham and 250 acres in Burke County
on April 26, 1798. John received additional grants in 1802 of 435 acres of land in Bullock County and
200 acres in Effingham county.
John moved from Bullock to Bryan County, Georgia, around 1794 and was appointed Justice
of the Peace for the First District of Bryan County on January 6, 1795. He was also a Judge of the
Inferior Court in Bryan County and reappointed Justice of the Peace on April 1, 1797. His name also
appears on the jury list for Bryan County in 1797.