Site hosted by Build your free website today!



            Henrietta Kuhlman married Herman Schrader December 13, 1883 in Lowell, Wisconsin.  (Records indicate Henrietta’s older brother married an older sister to Herman).  Henrietta and Herman lived in Watertown, after their marriage, and three of their children were born there, and attended the German schools.  Apparently, after the deaths of their parents, Henrietta and Herman moved from Watertown with their three children, Ed, Ella and Nora, to Beatrice, Nebraska.  This was the first of many moves and while living in Colorado, a fourth child, Herbert, was born.  Their last days, with all their children, were lived in Tennessee, where they were buried.


(Grandchildren relate the following information as they remembered):

            In Nebraska, they farmed a large farm and some believe Grandpa may also have been in partnership with a tailor and worked in a tailor shop.  The arena where they lived was prairie and the only trees were on creek and riverbeds and heating fuel was so scarce they gathered buffalo chips for fuel.  On one occasion, a railroad crew had removed some cross-ties but would not sell them so this family drove a team across the river bed and loaded some for fuel and almost lost the team and all as they hit quick sand in the river.  However, they did make it and hid the crossties in some ditches until he work crew had left, then they used the wood.  Also in this area the three children had to travel about 4 miles to school and the older son, Ed always took his gun to ward off the wolves.  In addition to attending the German school, they also attended German Sunday school.  Nora’s family has a certificate for her attending the Sunday school.

            Later, they all moved to Olney, Colorado near Ordway.  It is believed they took up a homestead there.  While in Colorado, a 4th child, Herbert, was born.  The area seems to have been Pueblo, near Greeley.  Grandma assigned Nora the responsibility to take care of the baby, Herbert, while she helped in the fields.  About dusk they would light the lamp because some times the dust storms would be so dense it made it hard to find their way home.  He cantaloupes were dried many times on the barn roof.  The sugar beets were pulled and had to be topped with a curved knife, then they were loaded on wagons with a fork that had balls on the prongs so they would not stick in the beets.

            Some time in the early 1900’s, they left Colorado and while at a railroad station, Grandpa bought some beaded purses from some Indians and Nora’s family still has one of these.  They moved to Apison, Tennessee or Sandersville, Georgia.  The family moved by renting a boxcar.  They put tools and stock in one end and furniture and other belongings in the other end.  Ed, the older son, was sent ahead to look for a place, which he found around Apison.  When the family arrived, Grandpa was not pleased with the place so would not unload until later.  Ed probably met his bride then and later married and lived there.  The family lived in central Georgia for a short time, but it is said that they did not like it there because the fleas were so bad.  They did live in Apison on the Ware place, a short way from the railroad underpass, for a short time.

            Grandma and Grandpa then moved to East End (now East Lake), Tennessee.  While there, the family worked in a plant.  This is where Ella and Nora met their husbands.  Ed married in 1903 and Ella and Nora both married in 1912.  Herbert attended Sunday school in East End and received a new suit for memorization of Bible verses.

            Later, Grandpa, Grandma and Herbert moved to the Stovall Farm (Browning place) on Standifer Gap, near Tyner, Tennessee.  This is now known as Midfield Acres Subdivision.  While they lived there, Florence and sister used to ride the train from Chattanooga to Tyner to spend the weekend and back on Sunday.  While living on this place, our Grandparents did general farming and dairy work – delivered milk, butter, eggs and vegetables to customers in Chattanooga.  Grandpa bought 4 acres adjoining the Stovall Farm and built their house and were living there when Herbert married.  That place was later known as the Smith place.