died on Dallas Island at the age of fifty-one.
He was on the island marking trees to be
cut. Two men (one named Doc
Frazier) who were cutting the trees found him.
He presumably died of a heart attack.
Mary (Polly) Ann Campbell Maddux died at the home of her daughter
Phoeby Caroline Maddux Millsaps on Waldens Ridge.
Rachel Maddux and her son Adam and his wife, Polly Ann are all buried
at the Maddux Cemetery. This
cemetery site is located on a high rise overlooking the Chickamauga Lake.
Lester Farris, grandson of Adam Maddux had the old stones cleaned and
repaired. The stone of Rachel
Maddux was replaced and a new one is now marking her grave.
The old stone was buried in her grave.
Lester Farris is buried in the Maddux cemetery and left money for the
upkeep of the grave.
CAMPBELL MADDUX, eldest son of the Adam Maddux enlisted in the Union Army as a Corporal
in the 5th Regiment at the age of 18 years.
He joined on February 25, 1862 answering the call from Abraham Lincoln
for the Tennessee Volunteers serving under Capt. C. McCaleb.
Records from the National Archives, Washington, D.C. show that he was
wounded at Lookout Mountain, Tennessee on September 22, 1963 and was treated
in the General Hospital on the north side of the river for three months then
furloughed home for thirty days. He
was discharged on April 4, 1865 at Nashville, Tennessee.
Campbell Maddux married Mary Elizabeth Moon, daughter of James Harvey and
Eliza Maria Johnson Moon on September 6, 1866.
They had twelve children. Two
died in infancy. Mary Elizabeth Maddux
died in 1895 and is buried in the family plot on the Maddux farm in
Charleston, Tennessee. This farm
is now owned by Olin Chemical. The
other part of the Maddux farm is owned by Bowater Southern Paper. When John Campbell and Mary Elizabeth were first married,
they lived in James County, Tennessee that is now Ooltewah.
This county was later annexed into Hamilton County. This area they
lived in was known as Blue Springs. Records
show they owned a large farm. In
an old church record book, John C. and Mary Elizabeth were charter members of
the Union Point Baptist Church. This
church was held inside the Maddux School House, and later the church was
organized in 1880. The old church
site was given by the Maddux family to be used for the Hamilton County Baptist
Association and is now called Camp Haboba.
This site includes 10 acres of land.
From the inventory of Church Archives of Tennessee Baptist-Ocoee
Baptist Association of 1942:
“New Bethel Church or Union Point on Birchwood Road
- The first site was donated to the church by the Maddux estate and was
later exchanged for the present lot. Property
records: Book B, Vol.20, PP 496-711”. Before
Union Point church was organized, Mary Elizabeth Moon Maddux was a member of
the Friendship Baptist Church. Her
letter was granted from the Friendship Church on January 18, 1876.
This is the time that John Campbell Maddux and Mary Elizabeth Maddux,
along with his sister, Cynthia Maddux Farris and her husband, Frank Farris,
and Sam Maddux, with his wife, Nancy, went to Kansas to homestead. The story is told that they chartered a train and moved in
two railroad cars their farm equipment, mules, and household furniture.
Mrs. Maude Maddux Brock told me she was born in South Bend, Kansas,
August 2, 1876. The reason for
their return to Tennessee was their dislike of the cold winter.
In the spring, the ground was said to be frozen and when they ploughed,
the found 27 rattlesnakes. Church
records at Friendship show that Mary Elizabeth Maddux returned her letter to
the church on January 18, 1877, which would confirm the story that they only
stayed one year. Other family
members say they stayed three years.